Monday, May 26, 2008

MGMT (London Astoria, 21/05/08)

A decidedly mixed bag from the Brooklyn duo, as detailed below:

The Bad: Starting 75 minutes late because of the football, iffy sound, a performance that was competent but decidedly unspectacular, constant self-indulgent improv sessions (especially during the encore), plus deadening arrangements of Time To Pretend and Weekend Wars.

The Good: More members than anticipated (five, plus a flautist during Electric Feel), a new guitarist whose constant hair metal soloing was pretty entertaining in a guilty way, The Youth and Kids were genuinely excellent, and a really good atmosphere throughout (especially when the venue went apeshit during Kids).

Overall, it wasn’t quite as bad as I feared they might be, but neither did it come close to living up to the excellence of their recorded stuff. I don't feel like I wasted my money, but neither do I have the inclination to see them again. Support act Florence and the Machine (think Emmy The Great doing the blues) was generally more impressive- think I may check her out at her headline show at the 229 next month.

(Photo: Valido (Flickr))

No comments: