Sunday, July 27, 2008

FRIGHTENED RABBIT (London Madame JoJo’s, 08/07/08)

Given the hype currently surrounding them, I was actually a little underwhelmed by Frightened Rabbit’s headline show at Madame JoJo’s. Like their fellow Scotsmen The Twilight Sad (who they share musical similarities with) I feel I should've like them more than I actually did- they're passionate, and loud, and have a good line in harmonies and a wry, understated wit but apart from a ferocious, extended "The Greys" they didn't really wow me. The unbalanced bass levels didn't help, but the main problem is that the songs all sounded pretty similar. Other people seemed to be enjoying it though, so it's probably just me being awkward.

Also against their favour is that the two support acts were much better: Collapsing Cities were SUPERB, a kind of mish-mash of Holy Fuck, Foals and Doves who I can see getting pretty big very soon; and Esau Mwamwaya ft. Radioclit's mix of dance, electronica and Afrobeat (the real deal, not the preppy Vampire Weekend kind) was enjoyably out of the ordinary- they did a fantastic remix of AiH's "Heart It Races" that's well worth checking out, and they had scantily-clad African dancers to boot. Fucking bargain for a fiver.

(Photo: Jacqui Sadler (Flickr))

No comments: