Sunday, December 14, 2008

ANDREW BIRD- NOBLE BEAST



Whilst demolishing my review backlog this morning, I took the opportunity to listen to the new Andrew Bird album. And what I can say- it's sublime. Yeah, there's less violin and whistling on this one, but because he employs them more sparingly they're much more effective. It's a more subtle album than the brilliant Armchair Apocrypha, but there's more going on under the surface and in many ways it reminded me of the measured lusciousness of Department of Eagles. Some have expressed a slight disappointment at the lack of killer hooks, but there's far more to these songs than that- they may not be instantly catchy like, say, Plasticities but they're even more satisfying. Plus he manages to sustain the awesomeness through the entirety of the album, unlike AA which tailed off heavily at the end. I'm actually over-awed- the Bird-Man has outdone himself again.

No comments: