Tuesday, December 16, 2008

EMMY THE GREAT (London Pure Groove Records, 16/12/08)



It was pretty much like this but more acoustic-y. Plus she played Absentee from her Secret Circus EP which warmed the cockles of my cold, black heart.

Anyway, as I travelled back to the suburban nowheresville I call home I reflected on the large number of fantastic musical discoveries I've made over the last week. Frida Hyvonen, Marnie Stern, Alessi's Ark and Margot and the Nuclear So and So's all merit a write-up at some point but I'd particularly like to recommend Titus Andronicus, whose Fear and Loathing in Mahwah, NJ is very late contender for song of the year. It starts off as the tinniest post-punk you've ever heard and inexplicably ends up exploding into some Pogues-meets-Sigur Ros celtic post-rock freakout. As the band would put it: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH! I'm absolutely devastated that they played the Old Blue Last month, I hope it's not too long before they return to these shores.

(Photo: Anika)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was hoping she played Two Steps Forwards :( damn her for not remembering the chords :P