Saturday, July 11, 2009

BISHOP ALLEN (London Barden’s Boudoir, 07/05/09)



Despite my refusal to acknowledge Dalston as a real place (a state of affairs that’s not changed though I’ve actually been there), I’m not going deny that it can still harbour some pretty good gigs. The two supports were certainly nothing to write home about, but Bishop Allen more than made up for that with their superior brand of twee-pop. Although they’ve just had a new album out, they drew much of their set from their formidable back catalogue and happily most of my favourite tracks from the wonderful “The Broken String” got an airing. Highlight for me was the ridiculously lovely “Butterfly Nets,” the plaintive female vocals and ukulele/glockenspiel arrangements bringing joy even to this cold embittered soul, but the whole set pulsed with a charm matched by very few other bands this year. Wonderful.

(Photo: Anika)

No comments: