Tuesday, May 10, 2011

SUFJAN STEVENS (Copenhagen Vega, 01/05/11)



If you're a stickler for subtle, low key performances, you may not enjoy Sufjan Stevens' current tour. If you like things that are totally awesome, I suspect you will. "Age of Adz" is a glorious mess of an album, and his live set-up accentuates that a hundredfold; I don't wish to spoil too much for those who are yet to experience it, but we're talking Flaming Lips levels of audio-visual ridiculousness here. But unlike the Lips, there's no undue reliance on backing tapes; Sufjan's gathered together an incredible band that takes the material from the new album and significantly enhances it ("Vesuvius" was an absolute fucking blinder). I was expecting good things, but last night blew all my expectations out of the water – one of the most riveting, over-the-top, luscious live performances I've ever seen.

Oh, and he played "Casimir Pulaski Day." That was pretty sweet.

No comments: