Saturday, June 15, 2013

THE STONE ROSES (London Finsbury Park, 08/06/13)



I've always thought there's been a bit of Pitchfork revisionism around The Stone Roses. Yes, Ian Brown couldn't hit a note if his life depended on it; yes,“The Second Coming” is a very uneven album; yes, there is a distinct air of “aggressive neanderthalism” that surrounds a proportion of their fanbase, but goddamn, if they didn't write some fantastic songs in their time. This wasn't an masterclass in performance by any means, but I'd forgotten what a tight musical unit Squire, Mani and Reni were, and any quibbles about Ian Brown's tunelessness were moot as you couldn't hear him over the audience. “Made of Stone” was my (surprise) highlight of the night, but “Fools' Gold's” irresistably aggressive funkiness and the closing double-whammy of “Breaking Into Heaven” and “I Am The Resurrection” (be still, my 16 year old heart) all contributed to a show that flicked all the nostalgia switches, whilst providing a much-needed reminder that under the bullshit and swagger, the Stone Roses were actually pretty special.

1 comment:

flower delivery said...

awesome, absolutely awesome. I wish I was there.