Sunday, September 27, 2015

SUFJAN STEVENS (London Royal Festival Hall, 02/09/15)



When I went to Copenhagen to see Mr Stevens for the first time, I described it as "one of the most riveting, over-the-top, luscious live performances I've ever seen." Needless to say, that was on the "Age of Adz" tour, which was a bit of an outlier as Sufjan albums go. This time around, as he promotes an album about the recent death of his estranged mother, things are naturally significantly more subdued. It was certainly a stunningly beautiful performance, with some of the most impressive lighting I've seen at a gig, yet....for some reason it didn't really connect with me. In fact, my highlight was the long noisey done, featuring pipe organ courtesy of Nico Muhly, at the tail-end of "Blue Bucket Of Gold" mostly because it was so at odds with the rest of the set. An excellent show by any benchmark, but alas, not the all-time classic others have declared it to be.

No comments: