Sunday, November 16, 2008

ERIN McKEOWN (London Green Note, 30/10/08)

Fun fact: “Slung-Lo” was the first song I ever illegally downloaded (a result of a glowing review from John Earls all the way back in 2003). So after discovering the victim of my unpardonable crime was performing a solo show in Camden, I felt obliged to atone for my youthful misdeeds by trekking down to the trendiest, hippiest depths of Camden and expending my finances on a gig ticket. And funnily enough, I ended up enjoying this than the much more anticipated Martha Wainwright show two nights before. The cult folkie’s a lady of the Regina Spektor mould- a tiny, quirky Brooklynite, perhaps not blessed with the same astonishing range or tone vocally but with some mean guitar-playing skills and a fantastic rapport with the audience. On the whole, her earlier material has more character than what came thereafter but she’s such a seasoned musician that even her weaker tracks sounded better than they had any right to be. Shame she didn’t actually play Slung-Lo (despite my plaintive bleatings) but hey, I was charmed enough to guarantee my attendance at her next London show. Excellent.

(Photo: Mickeydoodah (Flickr))

No comments: