Sunday, November 16, 2008

MOGWAI (Hammersmith Apollo, 24/10/08)











After my long-suffering eardrums were brutalised under the onslaught of My Bloody Valentine’s 130dB wall of noise, I didn’t think loud volumes had the ability to affect me any more. Mogwai set out to prove me wrong. I’ve never really ‘got’ the Scottish guitar-based post-rockers before, I always found them lacking in comparison to their more orchestral genre buddies but I think I understand their appeal a lot more after seeing them live. They’re not the most visually engaging act on Planet Earth, the projections being laughably awful and they’re certainly not the types for gimmicks, but when it comes to BEING VERY VERY LOUD they deliver satisfaction in spades. I’m still not sold on the substance of many of the songs themselves (Batcat being an exception) but the crescendos and sudden shifts into ear-pounding guitar freakouts were well worth waiting for. Exceptional support slots too from noiseniks Fuck Buttons and Errors, the latter who I hadn’t heard before but have intrigued me enough to investigate further.

(Photo: discoroge (Flickr))

No comments: