Monday, November 17, 2008



























A non-gig-related post in this here blog? Well, I’ll be mogadored! I suppose it’s about time I give this old thing a dust down- over a year of non-laptop-osity has made it difficult to find time to download music, let alone blog about it. But now I’m blessed with shiny new computery goodness I’ll be making a concerted effort to update this page, not just with reams of endless gig reviews (although they’ll still be coming- the next few weeks are insane even by my standards) but with song recommendations and even MP3’s for you to download. HUZZAH!

So I’ve spent the last two weeks catching up on a fourteen month backlog of music downloading and I’ve found myself listening obsessively to a number of bands all beginning with the letter ‘D’. I’m not sure if there’s some mystic significance about that letter; personally, I’ve never been a great fan even though it does appear twice in my name. However, that is not the point! The point is that these are all very good, nay, fantastic acts that deserve your time and attention! Behold:

DAN DEACON

Dan Deacon, why must you taunt me so? My friends, seasoned gig-fiends of renown have attested to the life-affirming qualities of your shows; one even referred to it as “the best gig he’s ever been to.” Three times I have tried to see you, and three times you have let me down- once by clashing with the almighty Sunset Rubdown, and twice by losing your passport just before you were supposed to play Field Day/support No Age. And this was before I’d heard anything beyond the stripped-down fuzzed-up brilliance of single The Crystal Cat.

Last week, I finally heard the entirety of Spiderman of the Rings. And I’m not going to lie, it rocked my world so hard I nearly slapped myself for not checking it out sooner, and made me even more distraught about my continuing state of Deaconlessness. Almost every tune on it’s a gem- “Pink Batman’s” swirling harpsichords and MIDI synths; “Big Milk” recalling Mùm’s more reflective moments; “Jimmy Joe Roche” a chorus of malfunctioning Gameboy’s assaulting the eardrums and the C major scale with carefree abandon.

But all pale in comparison to the album’s centrepiece, a song that has kicked everything I’ve heard this year into a cocked hat. Sounding like the hallucinations of a man OD-ing on Skittles being fed through a Spectrum sound-chip; Of Montreal‘s “The Past Is A Grotesque Animal” on an almighty sugar rush, “Wham City” is twelve minutes of irresistibly skewed electro-twee-krautrock genius, a track that should either see the man committed to a mental asylum, or elected President of the World. It is joyous. It is epic. It is utterly fucking sublime. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand all together now:

There is a mountain of snow, up past the big glen,
We have a castle enclosed, there is a fountain,
Out of the fountain flows gold into a huge hand,
That hand was held by a bear who had a sick band…

(repeat to fade)

Dan Deacon- Wham City

DENGUE FEVER

John Earls has been banging on about these guys for a while, and for the first time in ages I’ve agreed with him. Their unusual (unique?) fusion of Cambodian influences- lead Chhom Nimol hails from the country- and old-school psychedelic rock lends a certain exotic air to tunes that aren’t particularly noteworthy in themselves and transforms them into something quite enchanting. The formula does wear thin over a full album- melodically they’re so indebted to late-60’s California that not even the Asian elements can fully dispel qualms regarding how derivative it is but mellow, atmospheric highlights like Sober Driving and Monsoon of Perfume are well worth your time.

Dengue Fever- Sober Driver

DEPARTMENT OF EAGLES

A gross blasphemy I know, but apart from the lovely “Knife” I’ve never really dug critical darlings Grizzly Bear- too fey, too delicate, too darned wishy-washy for my uncultured, bombast-loving ears. So I didn’t exactly rush to check out the second full-length release from side-project Department of Eagles until I was offered a ticket to their upcoming show at the London Borderline. I listened to the eponymous opening track. Once it had finished, I immediately put it on again. And again. And then another few times for good measure, because my brain couldn’t quite comprehend the magnitude of my error in neglecting music this goddamned stunning. And when I finally found the emotional fortitude to continue further, I found an record brimming from the seams with endless aural delight. “Phantom Offer“ delivers a rockier edge reminiscent of latter day Beatles (and here the comparisons are almost justified). “Teenagers” is what I’d imagine a Debussy/Brian Wilson collaboration would sound like, all minor chords and beauty out of dissonance. “Classical Records” is Fleet Foxes covering Efterklang. “Waves of Rye” has this brilliantly oppressive minor-key intro that reminds me a bit of that cool 28 Days Later instrumental that was used in a gazillion adverts, you know the one. It’s just an absolute wonder to behold. It’s an album that wears its Sixties’ influences on its sleeve but isn’t hamstrung by it- some elements are distinctly modern, recalling the shimmering psychedelia of Panda Bear in a more compressed, classical form. The instrumentation is luscious and varied too; the production perfectly complimenting the subtly ethereal air in the best wall-of-sound tradition. To be honest, I didn’t think anything could top Dear Science as my favourite release of 2008, but In Ear Park is straight in there with an bullet- the Borderline show can‘t come soon enough...

Department of Eagles- Teenagers

DANANANAYKROYD

Back in the day I wrote a review about these guys‘ support set for The Mae Shi in August, extolling the total awesomeness of their live show. The Glaswegian six-piece- pronounced like the Batman theme tune, in case you were wondering- may not have quite the same impact on record, stripped of their “human archways” and “wall of hugs” but they still show more promised than other similarly hyped DiS-types (I’m looking at you, Johnny Foreigner.) “1993” is my favourite cut from their new EP; imagine a punk-rock version of Los Campesinos! and you‘re pretty much there. Rumour has it they’re (deservedly) attracting a lot of industry attention, so check them out now whilst they’re still playing small venues- I doubt they will be for much longer.

Danananananaykroyd- 1993

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great Blog!
The Dengue Fever album "Venus On Earth" was a great Summer album and now is striking a bit of cheer into my heart now I'm ready to hibernate!
Looking forward to seeing them @ The ICA on Thursday. Glad you found them (and like them) as well.

Chalky
P.S. I've added your link to my blog.