Wednesday, November 26, 2008

WALTZ WITH BASHIR





So tonight, I went with one of my best friends to see the Israeli animated documentary 'Waltz With Bashir', which recounts director Ari Forman's attempts to unlock his 'lost memories' of the Lebanon War of 1982. Although he fought in Beirut as a 19-year old recruit, Forman realised he had no recollection of the events that transpired there and thus he began to interview old comrades to find out what really happened. It's a utterly stunning achievement- fascinating, illuminating, deeply emotional and commendably even-handed. The rotoscoped animation gives a dream-like, almost surrealistic air that serves only to enhance the horrors being recounted, taking what could have been quite a dry retelling of the Sabra and Shatila massacres and turning it into something acutely memorable. It's pretty harrowing at times, so if you like your subject matter light and frothy I shouldn't see this but personally, I couldn't recommend it highly enough. Certainly left me on a bit of a downer though- it's like the anti-I'm From Barcelona.

Anyhoo, with Ida Maria on Thursday, Wolf Parade in Manchester on Friday, Wolf Parade in Dublin on Saturday and a trip down to my esteemed (HA!) hometown of Watford on Sunday, probably no more updates this week. Have fun, y'all!

No comments: