Tuesday, December 09, 2008

V.V. BROWN (London Scala, 27/10/08)



OK, so technically the night’s headliner was Norwegian pop-punk Ida Maria but a combination of crushing fatigue and lukewarm reviews of her previous shows enticed me to make an early break. But I did get the chance to see hotly-tipped London songstress V.V Brown before I headed off homewards, an experience that made the trip almost worth it. A vivacious, enchanting performer with a slight hint of Macy Gray huskiness , her retro-tinged songs may not always do her obvious talent justice (a ballad called ‘I Love You’? For God’s sake, you could try a little harder…) but she’s got that natural star quality that’s likely to see her play venues much, much larger than this in the not-so-distant future. That’s a lot more than can be said for Birdpen, who left such little impression on me I can’t remember bugger all about them.

(Photo: Nadine Ballantyne (Flickr))

No comments: